BSG/techUK/INCA Seminar – Autumn Statement proposals for greater connectivitysamiragazzane
The Chancellor in his Autumn Statement heralded investment of over £1bn aimed at stimulating more fibre rollout and to realise the Government’s ambition ‘for the UK to be a world leader in 5G’ next generation mobile networks. The BSG, techUK and INCA are inviting you to join us on Thursday 12 January (9.30am-1pm at techUK) to hear from officials from the Treasury and DCMS, and to participate in a discussion on the framing and next steps on the initiative.
The funds, spread out to 2020-21 will be split between;
– £400m for the Digital Infrastructure Investment Fund (DIIF) at least matched by private finance, to invest in new fibre networks over the next 4 years, helping to boost market ambitions to deploy full-fibre access to millions more premises by 2020
– £740m from the National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) targeted at supporting the market to roll out full-fibre connections and future 5G communications.
Ultimately the success of both of these worthwhile initiatives and the wider ambition rely on well-designed funding programme(s) as well as active collaboration between Government, industry and regulator.
More information on the funding strands are provided here.
- 09:30 -09:45 – Registration
- 09:45 – 10:00 – Welcome and introductions
- 10:00 – 10:10 – Opening remarks from Kate Joseph, Director of the Digital Economy Unit (DCMS)
- 10:10 – 10:25 – Future Communications Challenge Group Report and Recommendations
- 10:25 – 10:35 – Overview of 5G Strategy, 5G Testbeds and Full Fibre Projects
- 10:35 – 10:45 – Digital Infrastructure Investment Fund (DIIF) presentation
- 10:45 – 11:00 – Break-out sessions
- 11:00 – 11:30 – Theme 1 – Full Fibre Project
- 11:30 – 12:00 – Theme 2 – 5G Strategy
- 12:00 – 12:30 – Theme 3 – 5G Testbeds
- 12:45 – Closing remarks